THEMES . . . Humanity and Earth in Transition Preparing the Birth of the Future
Members of the Victoria Theosophical Society choose the program topics they wish to explore under the guidance of the President. Member participation is encouraged and members themselves give information talks on a variety of interesting subjects including the following listed below.
A brief view of past topics explored:
Man, The Turning Point of Evolution
There is an urgent need today for new understanding of man’s essential nature which can give a clue to the meaning of life. Is man more than a physical creature with a collection of drives? Answers to questions like these could give modern man an anchorage to values for meaningful living . . . . .
The Art of Meditation
We live today in a world of precipitate action, often hasty, ill-considered, sometime even violent. Because every one of us is a part of the human family, we are all involved in this ceaseless turbulence. The heart longs for peace, for serenity, for a sense of meaning, and for courage to meet the the stresses with which we must deal constantly. One ancient method is meditation, today being discovered by thousands . . . . .
Man, Master of His Destiny
In the face of the world’s great disasters or the distresses of individual private lives, mankind has exclaimed passionately against the apparent injustice of life. The law of karma implies that all action is one and indivisible and that life is purposeful, coherent and just. This understanding makes life reliable ad enables us to create our destiny in freedom . . . . .
H. P. Blavatsky and her Writings
From time to time, in the news, reference is made to Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (HPB), because she was an unusual woman who made a considerable impact on the thought of the western world. Speculation about her has often exceeded information and understanding.
H.P. Blavatsky’s ground-breaking work, The Secret Doctrine is an exposition of timeless truths that go back in the night of time and forms the wisdom at the heart of all religions. This book appeared in 1888 in two tremendous volumes.
Volume 1 – The study of the origin and development of the universe (Cosmogenesis).
Volume 2 – The study of the origin and development of man (Anthropogenesis).
In addition to The Secret Doctrine, other works included Isis Unveiled and The Key to Theosophy. The latter is a work that remains a most valuable introduction to theosophical thought and philosophy . . . . .
The Power of Thought
The value of knowledge is tested by its power to purify and ennoble life. Seekers of truth desire to apply the theoretical knowledge acquired in the study of Theosophy to the evolution of their own character and helping of their fellow man.
Thought is a power possessed by all. Probably it is the most potent power in the world, for it is able to change the course of history and the lives of individuals.
By understanding thought’s nature, the mechanisms through which it functions, and its effects, we may develop it and learn to use it wisely . . . . .
Most Recent Topics Presented
- The Challenge of Change . . . Video presentation on the insights of J Krishnamurti (applicable for present day).
- Meditation and Higher Consciousness . . . Video presentation by Pablo Sender.
- Science and Scientists . . . When science recognizes the sacred and spirituality includes the scientific, humanity will emerge from duality.
- Free Will and Destiny (PowerPoint Presentation) . . . Understanding who we are is more than just luck. How does destiny and free will fulfill the divine plan versus simply accepting our fate?
- The Journey of Self Transformation . . . Video presentation by Tim Boyd (overcoming fear).
- Stanzas from the Book of Dyzan . . . From the sacred manuscripts revealed a little at a time when humanity is ready.
- The Dark Night of the Soul . . . Video presentation by William Meader.
- Exploring Ideas of Evolution in the Secret Doctrine . . . Video presentation by Pablo Sender.
- Religion, Science and Spirituality
- Other topics . . . as suggested by members.